Saturday, June 02, 2007

 

Colleyville Bar-B-Q and Chili Cook-off

This is one of my favorite cook-offs of the year. One reason is it's close to home, but besides that, it's fun and it draws a lot of really good cooks. There is also a lot going on during the event. The event benefits the Texas Special Olympics and the event promoter, Det. Kevin Walling of the Colleyville police department did a heck of a job along with his fellow officers, the mayor and business men like Charley Hall of Hall's Grocery. I believe they raised in the neighborhood of $15,000 for the Texas Special Olympics.

Friday evening there was a free catfish cook-off for everyone. Donations for the TSO were accepted and they raised $1000 for the charity. Congrats to Robert Waters and "Big Robert" Erlason for a job well done.

There was also a chili cook-off Friday put on by the Texas Chili Association. I decided at the last minute to enter and cooked a fairly good pot but not my best. I didn't place in the top ten of the 35 teams that entered. One thing I can say was I did not come in "dead ass last", an award not claimed by any of the cooks.

The barbeque entries were the standard three, chicken, ribs and brisket. I made three good products and managed to reach the finals table in chicken and brisket. A little disappointing but not bad given the 75 teams that entered and the calibre of the competition. Better luck next time.






The next cook-off for me will be at the end of July in West, TX where I hope to unveil the new smoker.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?